- What is soy milk?
- Why might you drink soy milk instead of dairy milk?
- Soy milk recipe
- How long does homemade soy milk last?
- Can you freeze soy milk?
What is soy milk?
Soy milk is a plant-based non-dairy beverage, often consumed as an alternative to milk. It’s made from soybeans and is therefore vegan.
Why might you drink soy milk instead of dairy milk?
There are so many reasons why you might switch to soy milk in your coffee, smoothie, or in your cereal. You might not like the taste of cow’s milk, and you may also prefer soy milk over other non-dairy alternatives. You may also be trying to avoid dairy for various reasons, whether it’s for health or weight loss.
Soy milk recipe
To make this homemade soy milk, you only need 2 simple ingredients, and it’s ready in just under 20 minutes.
Ingredients for soy milk
Here is what you’ll need to make soy milk:
- ½ cup dried soybeans (80 g)
- 4 cups water (1 l)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or a piece of vanilla bean (optional)
Making homemade soy milk is super simple and can be broken down into 7 steps:
- Soak the soybeans in water overnight (ideally 12 hours or longer).
- Drain the soybeans and remove the outer skins. Removing the outer skins is optional, but your milk will have a better texture if you do.
- Blend the soybeans with 3 cups of water (750 ml) until well blended and almost smooth.
- Strain the blended mixture using a nut milk bag, a cheesecloth, a napkin, or a fine-mesh strainer.
- Pour the mixture into a pot or a saucepan and add 1 cup of water (250 ml). Bring to a boil, stir and skim foam.
- Cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring, for about 20 minutes.
- Let the soy milk cool down. You can add other ingredients such as vanilla extract or dates. Blend the mixture if necessary.
- You can store the soy milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Use yellow soybeans. It’s the best kind of soybeans to make soy milk.
- You can add more or less water. Depending on how thick you like your soy milk.
- Feel free to add any sweeter to your soy milk.
- You can also add other ingredients such as cocoa powder or ground cinnamon to give it a different taste.
How long does homemade soy milk last?
If you store the soy milk in an airtight container in the fridge, it can last for up to 5 days, depending on the box you’re using.
To be sure, check the milk before drinking it. If it looks and smells good, it should be okay.
Can you freeze soy milk?
You can freeze soy milk. However, after freezing soy milk, it often loses its texture and some of the flavor. Yet, freezing doesn’t affect its safety nutritional value. Typically, you can store soy milk in the freezer for up to 5 months without worrying.
As it changes in texture when thawed, it’s better to use it for cooking rather than for drinking.