What is oat milk?
Oat milk is one of the most popular plant-based milk. Oat milk is plant milk derived from whole oat grains soaked in water and strained with a cheesecloth or a unique nut milk bag. It’s a great alternative to cow’s milk when you’re on a vegan diet. And the best part is that you can easily make oat milk yourself.
How to make oat milk?
Oat milk is super easy to make. The following recipe guides you through 4 easy steps to make your own oat milk at home.
Oat milk recipe
To make this homemade oat milk, you only need 5 simple ingredients, and it’s ready in just under 30 minutes.
It’s perfect for making plenty of other recipes, and you can enjoy it plain or sweetened.
Ingredients for oat milk
Here is what you’ll need to make oat milk:
- 1 cup oats (100 g)
- 3–4 cups water (750 ml-1 l), I make my oat milk using 4 cups or 1 liter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup or 1–2 Medjool dates (optional)
- A pinch of salt (optional)
Making homemade oat milk is super simple and can be broken down into 4 steps:
- Soak the oats in water for at least 30 minutes. You can also soak them overnight, but that’s not necessary.
- Drain the oats and rinse them. Discard the soaking water.
- Add the oats, 3 to 4 cups of clean water (750 ml-1 liter), and all the remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more or less water depending on how thick you like your oat milk.
- Strain the milk using a cheesecloth, a strainer, a napkin, or a nut milk bag.
And your homemade oat milk is ready!
You can store the oat milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
What can I do with oat milk pulp?
You can use the oat milk pulp for baking vegan, gluten-free donuts, oatmeal cookies, or even make chocolate truffles. You can also add it to your smoothies to incorporate more essential fiber into your diet.
Can oat milk be heated up?
Yes! You can enjoy your delicious homemade oat milk hot or cold.✍️ February 7, 2021
Wondering if you should become vegan? Take this quiz and we'll tell you if you should become vegan.Start Quiz