Is mayonnaise vegan?
As mayonnaise contains eggs, it’s not vegan. However, several brands also offer egg-free and dairy-free vegan mayonnaise. In addition, vegan mayo is super easy to make with basic ingredients and a blender.
Homemade mayonnaise recipe
To make this homemade mayonnaise, you only need 4 simple ingredients, and it’s ready in just under 2 minutes.
Ingredients for vegan mayo
Here is what you’ll need to make vegan mayonnaise:
- 1 cup oil (250 ml), I recommend sunflower oil
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk (125 ml)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
Making homemade vegan mayonnaise is super simple and can be broken down into 6 steps:
- Make sure the oil is at the same temperature as the milk. I found room temperature milk and oil to be the easiest to work with.
- Place all the ingredients in the blender, except the oil, and blend for about 10 seconds.
- Add the oil gradually while the blender is going at a slow speed until it thickens.
- When the mayo starts to thicken up, gradually increase blender speed until well mixed.
- Try the mayo and add more salt if needed. If it’s too thick, add more milk and if it’s too watery, add more oil.
- Turn the blender on again until the mayo has a perfect consistency.
It’s best to immediately use the mayo or keep it in the fridge for a few hours until it’s cold.
Suggested read: What is gelatin made of?
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container or a jar in the fridge for about 1 week.
- Feel free to use any type of oil like olive, sunflower, canola, peanut, corn, or safflower oil. Keep in mind olive oil has a robust flavor. Do not use coconut oil as it will solidify in the fridge.
- Soy milk is the best choice to make this recipe. You can use almond milk, but it won’t get as thick.
- Feel free to use other types of vinegar, especially if they have a neutral flavor. Try to avoid balsamic vinegar.
- If your mayo doesn’t emulsify, add more oil until it thickens. The milk and the oil must be at the same temperature.
- Keep in mind this mayo will thicken in the fridge.
- You can add other ingredients to your mayo like garlic (you’ll get a delicious vegan aioli), mustard, or maple syrup. It’s also delicious with fresh or dried herbs like parsley or dill.
Can you freeze vegan mayo?
You can’t freeze this vegan mayo. But making it just takes 2 minutes and only needs simple ingredients you can always have in your pantry.
Suggested read: Is alcohol vegan? A complete guide to beer, wine, and spirits
Homemade vegan mayo lasts for about 1 week because although oil, vinegar, and salt last a lot longer, the milk doesn’t.Last updated on October 4, 2021, and last reviewed by an expert on February 15, 2021.